Wednesday, April 20, 2011

17/18 Week Update

So I'm  back from the doctor today and things are still going pretty well.  The baby's heart rate was 158 today.  I've gained about 5 pounds total the first half of my pregnancy.  The doctor spoke with my today about what my expected weight gain is for my total pregnancy since I was overweight when I became pregnant.  They really only want me to gain about ten more pounds, so I am going to try really hard to eat better.  All I can do is try my best, but lately I have been a lot hungrier then I was in my first trimester.  Thank goodness it is about the time of year when there will be plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables available!  I've definitely started experiencing the "growing pain" associated with pregnancy.  There is a lot of pulling and stretching going on in my lower abdomen and pelvis area and while it is uncomfortable I am trying to remind myself that it just means that baby is growing.  I've had a little bit of swelling in my ankles at the end of the day when I sit all day long at work so I am just trying to make sure to get plenty of water in and keep my feet elevated when I can.  My blood pressure was a little elevated today which has me a little concerned since I am already on medication for it.  I have an appointment with the family doctor next week and will follow up with the OB in 3 weeks.  I am hoping to get my pressure down on my own without additional medicine.  I am also starting to get quite familiar with heartburn and a pretty regular basis.  I am hoping by cutting out fried and spicy foods that I will get some relief.

We go for our big ultrasound next Wednesday!  They will do be able to do screenings for possible birth defects and hopefully tell us if we are having a son or daughter...wow that is weird to say.  Until then, I am just going to try to continue to take it easy and gets lots of rest.

Hope everyone is having a good week and feel free to leave me a message to know that you are reading! :)

1 comment:

The Barker's said...

Can you bring a stool to work to keep your feet elevated?