So this was the day that I had been waiting for. I was ready to get some confirmation about what I already knew. D took half a day off so he could go to the appointment with me. I couldn't get in until 1:00, so I was going to work for a while, go to the appointment, then return to work.
We got to the office about 12:45 because I knew I would have to fill out paperwork. I had been trying to increase my water uptake since I found out I was expecting and I knew I would have to give a urine specimen at the appointment, but I really had to go. It was a little after 1:00 when we finally got called back. The nurse took my weight, and then told me to get a urine specimen for them. I did the specimen the met in the room with D while we waited for the nurse. I heard the timer go off once, and then heard it go off again, but didn't think about it too much.
The nurse came in and asked me when I had my positive tests because both urine tests had come back negative. I was crushed to say the least. I didn't know how this could be. She said that I could wait a little while and see the doctor who would be back in at 2:00 or come back the next day and see the doctor I originally see. I told her I wanted to know what was going on, so I was prepared to wait.
D took me out to get a sandwich since I had been nauseous most of the day, and had only had a few crackers to eat, but had been drinking lots of fluids. We were called back to see the doctor right at 2:00, and this is where things got worse.
As I mentioned, this was not my normal doctor, so she wanted me to give her my "history". I told her that I had been late on my period, and asked why I took a test. Why not? I just did. I then told her that I had PCOS and she asked if Met was the only thing that kept my cycles regular. I told her I wasn't sure as I had been on it for over five years now. She then asked if I was trying to get pregnant. I told her that I had tried and did fertility treatments for five years and nothing worked. At that point she stated that I was having a "chemical pregnancy" or early miscarriage and that my hormone levels had probably peaked at the beginning of the week and were now dropping which caused the negative urine tests. It was like she assumed that because I have PCOS and had not had any success with treatment, that there was no way I could have gotten pregnant on my own.
I asked her what to do at this point, and she stated that I should just wait for my period to start, and if I didn't start within a month, to call back for another appointment for meds to bring on my period. I then told her that I wanted a blood test to check the levels in my blood. She said she would get me one. I asked her when I could have the results and she said the next day. I work at the hospital so I knew that if the test was ordered stat that we could have results in a little over an hour. She said she would order it stat, and the office would call with my results. I chose to go to the hospital for my testing, knowing that it would make for quicker results. I sent D on to do errands, as I was going to try go back to work for the day.
I got to the hospital, and after a call to my SIL, the waterworks finally came on. I tried to compose myself before going in to the hospital, as a lot of these girls were my former co-workers and some of them knew my news. I checked in at the desk and one of the girls saw me, and and asked me how my appointment went. I just started to cry again and she hugged me. I sat down to get checked in, and she went to get another one of my friends to wait with me. I went back for the bloodwork, and decided that there was no way I could stay at work the rest of the day. I have previously called one of the girls I work with and told her that I was going for bloodwork and things weren't going well, so they were somewhat informed on what was going on.
I got back to my office and met my supervisor in the elevator. I told her what had happened and I needed to go home. She offered to go and get my things for me, but I told her it was OK. I walked in, got my things, and just told them I would be back tomorrow. I couldn't talk to any of them because I couldn't stop crying and I didn't know what to say.
From there, I headed towards home and just tried to relax until I heard from the office. I waited, and waited, and waited. Finally I called the office and asked for my results. A lady got on the phone and said that my levels were 110 and that was a positive. They wanted me to re-test again in a week. All I could think about was how long a week was going to seem.
I knew it was going to be a long week, but I just tried to take it day by day like I had originally planned.
At this point, I was amazed by the outpouring of support I got from my friends, co-workers, and family. I am truly blessed to have these people in my life. If it wasn't for all of them, I can't imagine what kind of state I would be in. Thank you to each and every one of you for being there for me!
1 comment:
Ok, so I must have missed the part where you actually had to request the initial bloodwork. You know I love her, but what the heck would happen in a month when you still don't start (because you are growing a little one). She just calls in meds? Um, bad idea.
Post a Comment