Monday, February 1, 2010

Mixed Emotions

So I usually post on Saturday after my weigh-in, but this time my emotions were running a little on the high side, so blogging was the last thing on my mind. I had taken our dog Bailey to the vet on Saturday for vaccine's and grooming, and asked if they could just run some x-rays on her because I know that labs have a history of hip dysplasia. 

Shortly before I was to go to weigh in, I got a call from the vet and it was not the news I was expecting. I expected to hear that she was starting to show signs of h.p, but instead I was told that she already has severe h.p.  The whole time I was on the phone with the vet, I could feel the lump in my throat, but I didn't want to cry while I was on the phone with her.

I asked her what our options were and it was basically surgery which is about $4,000-5,000, or just try to treat her through diet, and pain medication to keep her comfortable as long as we can.  She shows signs of discomfort now, but doesn't act like she is in pain. So for the time being, we are hoping we can just manage her pain and exercise her more to help her lose some weight.

I just felt helpless when I got the news. If I had that kind of money, I would do it in a heartbeat if I knew it would help her.  I have a credit card that I can use at the vet's office that I could use, but it is also how I finance my care for my weight loss. So I could possibly get her the surgery, but I have to stop doing what I am doing to try to better myself. I just don't know what to do.

People say, she is just a pet and to take care of myself first, but they don't understand that my pets are my children. They are all I have.

I guess I just have a lot of thinking to do.....................

P. S. I did hit the 75 pound mark Saturday.

2 comments:

The Frock's said...

Okay, first of all you look AMAZING!! Second, I don't know how old your baby is, but Jasmine our lab mix baby we have had for almost 11years and she was only a few months old when we got her. She has problems with her hips and does on occasion have a hard time getting up, we notice it more in winter, but we have been able to manage her successfully with no signs of pain with losing weight and arthritis meds as needed. I just had her to the vet this week and they were very pleased with the way she looked and said that pain meds should be a last resort and just to keep up what we are doing. Hope that helps!!

Unknown said...

Ran across your blog today, I have read everyword and just wanted to let you know that I have always thought you were very special. I am so proud of you for the hard work of losing weight! I know it is not easy, the pictures look great! Dennis walked in the room and saw the before and after on the computer and said "Very impressive!" I said ya....and wow! With the baby situation please know you will be in my prayers daily. I know God loves you Trisha....he knows your hopes and dreams....I do not know how it is going to happen, but somehow I know you and David are going to have a child....and you will be the best parents!
Cindy Z.